Help Desk Specialist
Norfolk, VA 23513
Help Desk Specialist
As the key point of contact for the Company’s help desk, the Help Desk Specialist will ensure proper computer operation so that end users can accomplish business tasks. This includes receiving, prioritizing, documenting, and actively resolving end user help requests. Problem resolution will involve the use of a help request tracking tool, as well as require that the individual give in-person, hands-on help at the desktop level.
Strategy & Planning
- Evaluate documented resolutions and analyze trends for ways to prevent future problems.
- Field incoming help requests from end users via telephone and e-mail in a courteous manner.
- Document all pertinent end user identification information, including name, department, contact information, and nature of problem or issue.
- Build rapport and elicit problem details from help desk customers.
- Prioritize and schedule problems. Escalate problems as necessary to the appropriately experienced technician.
- Record, track, and document the help desk request problem-solving process, including successful and unsuccessful decisions made and actions taken.
- Apply diagnostic utilities to aid in troubleshooting.
- Identify and learn appropriate software and hardware used and supported by the organization.
- Perform post-resolution follow-ups to help requests.
- Develop help sheets and frequently asked questions lists for end users.
Formal Education & Certification
- College diploma or university degree and 3 years customer-facing work experience.
Knowledge & Experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport-building, listening, and questioning skills.
- Strong documentation skills.
- Prior experience in a help desk setting a must.
- Prior experience with desktop, laptop hardware and software a must.
- Ability to conduct research into a wide range of computing issues as required.
- Ability to absorb and retain information quickly.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Highly self motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Exceptional customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.