Norfolk Law Office seeks a qualified Legal Assistant to perform a variety of administrative duties in support of Litigation Attorneys. Candidates must possess a minimum of three years' relevant work experience or a combination of relevant work and educational experience, proficiency in Microsoft Office 2016, and typing skills at a level of 65 WPM. Exceptional organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail are essential.
- Acts as liaison between current and potential clients and the attorneys by maintaining continual communications via email, telephone, and in person. Follows up with clients regarding status of cases, appointments, billing, etc.
- Prepares routine correspondence, pleadings, discovery documents, reports, letters, compliance and ethics handbooks, contracts, and other documents.
- Maintains attorneys’ calendars; schedules and follows up on all appointments (i.e., docketing case deadlines, courts, clients, case work, and potential clients).
- Responsible for ensuring timely filing with the courts and assisting attorneys in preparation for court appearances. Maintains court schedule and other case deadlines.
- Performs electronic filings.
- Opens, organizes, maintains, and closes paper and electronic client files.
- Creates binders to organize and index all documents for a particular matter.
- Prepares and sends billing statements monthly.
- Inputs timekeeper data.
- Performs a variety of other administrative tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of three years’ relevant work experience in a professional office setting or a combination of relevant work and educational experience.
- Familiarity with Government Contracts and Construction litigation and its legal terminology preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 2016, time and billing software, dictation/transcription software, and document management software. Typing at a level of 65 WPM.
- Proven meticulous attention to detail and proofreading skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work successfully within a team environment.
- Operational knowledge of standard office equipment including copier, scanner, and telephone.
- Demonstrated proactive approach to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of client service and response.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients, attorneys, co-workers, and other outside professionals.