Merchandise Payables Associate
Chesapeake, VA 23320 US
Hours: 8:30-5:00 / M-F
Summary of Position:
The Merchandise Payable Associate will support the Merchandise Payable team within the Finance Disbursement department. This position includes processing invoices in accordance with the vendor’s payment terms, analyzing billing discrepancies, and working with internal and external customers to resolve payment disputes.
The associate will work closely with peers and under the direct supervision of the Merchandise Payable Supervisor to perform routine tasks as assigned.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure compliance with accounting requirements and corporate invoice guidelines for manual or EDI invoice data; Audit invoices to ensure costs are accurate according to terms, allowances and purchase orders.
- Process and audit authorized invoices to ensure that vendors receive payment for merchandise within deadlines. Accurate information must be entered when invoices are processed to avoid fees/penalties.
- Research and resolve problems utilizing internal and external resources to process payments.
- Maintain positive business relationship with suppliers, and other areas of company. Responsibilities may include: 1.) Researching and responding to all invoice and payment inquiries (e.g. invoice Status, payment Status and deduction Charges) from Suppliers, Stores, Distribution Centers, and Employees within department turn-time expectations. Communication may occur through phone, mail or e-mail; 2.) Communicating with Vendors, District Managers, Warehouse/Store Managers, Carriers, Merchandising/Buyers to resolve issues (e.g. proof of delivery, shortages, unauthorized merchandise, wrong cost on invoice, duplicate invoice, wrong vendor/store numbers, etc.).
- Provide suppliers with information relating to system generated credits and debit memos.
- Must adhere to all policies and procedures as outlined in the company handbook
- Other duties as assigned
- 2 years of Accounts Payable Experience or Associates Degree
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office
- Ability to communicate effectively, clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Must exhibit strong analytical, decision making and problem solving skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced/team based environment
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks to meet defined deadlines