Recycling and Waste Administrator
Chesapeake, VA 23320
Summary of Position:
Manage waste services program by responding promptly to store needs and continuous improvement of our waste expense-to-sales ratio by effectively managing our waste removal service levels.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Primary duties are the performance of office work directly related to the management of and coordination of waste operations for client locations in both the U.S. and Canada.
- Must exercise discretion and independent judgment with respect to managing day to day operations as related to waste services.
- Position will work directly with general operations day to day including outside vendor partners which has the ability to effect the operations of the business to a substantial degree.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in changing situations.
- Coordinate, analyze, and manage waste disposal activities to provide store operations with a positive experience in a cost effective and efficient way.
- Provides consultation and expert advice to management concerning waste services.
- Involved in short and long term planning to meet business objectives and budget for waste services.
- Responding to calls, e-mails and requests placed in Officetrax system from stores with waste removal issues.
- Establish temporary and permanent waste removal for all new, relocated and expanded stores.
- Responding to and resolving field, landlord, property manager or city inquiries regarding waste related issues.
- Managing open top waste containers for special projects, for example store fires, floods and other special projects.
- Must investigate and resolve matters of significance on behalf of management to include auditing of waste removal invoices and invoice reconciliation to ensure proper billing of expenses and receipt of recycle revenue.
- Review and approving LL and city serviced waste related invoices to include representing management in handling complaints, arbitration disputes between municipalities, vendors and landlords.
- Manage hazardous waste program including new store set up and coordinating necessary pickups.
- Review monthly accrual for all waste services received but not yet invoiced.
- Managing a baler/compactor program that includes return on investment analysis, store surveys, bale route analysis, issuing of purchase orders, and coordination of the installation including electrical work, landlord approval and scheduling bale pickups.
- Manage the capital expense budget for compactors and balers.
- Developing schedule for frequency and amount of fourth-quarter waste needs for stores.
- Continuous right-sizing of our stores so that waste removal expense is in line with sales.
- Bachelor degree (BA / BS / BFA) or five years of equivalent business experience
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Must be adaptable, analytical, independent, responsive and a self-starter
- Self-confidence, strong critical thinking skills and strong decision making ability
- Intermediate experience in Excel and Word
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere that has common vision, mission and goal
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong initiative and follow up skills
- Typing skills of 50 wpm minimum
- Self motivated, detailed oriented, commitment to accuracy and meeting deadlines
- Willingness to work overtime as required and flexibility in work schedule
- Ability to work well with deadlines and reprioritize work assignments as needed.
- Job rotation/cross training- at supervisors discretion, transfers and cross training within the department is required
- Experienced in accounting concepts and principals.
This is not to be considered a complete list of job duties, as they may be amended or added to as needed.